The Chapel Bridge (or Kapellbrücke) in Lucerne is a 204 meter (670 foot) long bridge crossing the Reuss River located in the upper part of the Swiss city. It was originally constructed in 1333 as a fortification to help protect Lucerne from attacks and is the oldest wooden covered bridge in Europe.
Inside the bridge are a collection of paintings from the 17th century, depicting various events and important saints from Lucerne's history. Much of the bridge and artwork were destroyed in a 1993 fire, but it was promptly restored. The 140 feet (43 meter) tall Wasserturm (Water Tower), an octagonal tower made from brick, is adjacent to the bridge. The tower has served as a prison, torture chamber, watchtower and treasury for the city in the past. Today the tower is a part of the city wall and is used as a club room for a traditionalist association. As a result, the inside of the tower is not open for public viewing. The tower and the bridge are Lucerne's symbol and constitute the most photographed monument in the country.
The Chapel Bridge is located near the junction of the river and Lake Lucerne. A visual and architectural feat, it is one of Switzerland's main tourist attractions.