Old High Church

16 beoordelingen
Looking down on the city from St Michael’s Mount on the banks of the River Ness, the historic Old High Church is the oldest church in Inverness and famed as the seat of the first congregation in Inverness, with roots dating back to Celtic times. Legend has it that St Columba of Iona, the Irish monk who introduced Christianity to Inverness, once preached from the hilltop on the very spot where the church stands today.

Despite its Celtic roots, the present church building mostly dates back to the 18th century, although parts of the Bell tower from the 14th century remain, and is notable for its restored Willis Organ and Iona marble chancel. Along with its long history of worship, the church was also used as a prison and execution ground after the Battle of Culloden in 1746. Regular Sunday services are held in the Church year round.
Location
Adres: Old High Church, Church Street, Inverness, Inverness-shire IV1 1EY, Schotland
Meer lezen

Tours en activiteiten (0)

Close
icon-filterFilteren
Alles wissen

Geen resultaten gevonden!

Sorteren op:Standaard

Phone
Is het niet mogelijk om online te boeken?
+31 85 888 1845
Bel naar +31 85 888 1845